Maine Tourism: Fort Point Lighthouse

>
>

Fort Point Lighthouse

At the west side of the mouth of the Penobscot River in Stockton Springs, Maine sits the Fort Point Lighthouse. The purpose of this lighthouse was to aid the boats who were traveling to Bangor with their loads of lumber. The grounds surrounding the Lighthouse became a part of Fort Point State Park in 1998. Read More

Maine is as famous for their lighthouses as they are for lobster. Prominent among the various lighthouses is Fort Point Lighthouse. Established in 1836, this lighthouse continues to operate to this day, currently under the care of the United States Coast Guard.

The first structure was a granite tower. Then in 1857, a 31-foot brick lighthouse was constructed as well as, a two-story wood-frame light keeper's house. A bell tower and a barn were added in 1890 and an oil house was constructed in 1897. Fort Point Light is a step back in time as all of these structures are well-preserved and still standing today, nearly one hundred years after their construction.

Fort Point Lighthouse is the only lighthouse in Maine whose tower is square on the outside, but inside it is round with a circular stairway. The lighthouse's 1857 Fresnel lens remains in use today.

In addition to being one of the first lighthouses established along the eastern seaboard, Fort Point Light is noted for its beautiful, scenic and easily accessible location. For these reasons, many light keepers wanted to be the light keeper for Fort Point. As a result, during a span of over fifty years, from the 1880s into the 1930s, only four men served as light keeper.

The light was automated in 1988 and the lighthouse grounds became a part of Fort Point State Park in 1998. The lighthouse can be reach by traveling via vehicle on U.S. Route 1 or by boat. For more detailed information on visiting the lighthouse check ahead. Arrangements can be made for guided tours for both individuals and groups.

Share Your Thoughts & Questions