The land on which Grindle Point Lighthouse stands was purchased from Francis Grindel in 1851. Intended to be called Grindel Point, a misspelling occurred at some point and it was never corrected. Francis Grindel was the second light keeper.Originally built for approximately $3,500, the original light tower became dilapidated and had to be rebuilt.
The Grindle Point Lighthouse is located on Islesboro, which is a long, slender island in the upper part of Penobscot Bay. The light was deactivated from 1934 and the keeper's house was converted into the Sailor's Memorial Museum. Then in 1987, the people of Islesboro convinced the United States Coast Guard to install a flashing green light.
The museum is open daily, except Mondays, during the summer months. To understand the significance of the Grindle Point Light, take the ferry from Lincolnville Beach to the island. Once there, enjoy the Museum, biking, hiking and the awe-inspiring views of the Camden Hills and Penobscot Bay.