- Start your planning at Hulls Cove Visitor Center, talk with courteous, experienced and educated Rangers to help you plan your trip
- Hiking, biking, swimming, boating, and fishing are some of the great outdoor activities for kids
- Visit the Natural History Museum and the Mount Desert Oceanarium
Families should start their planning at the Hulls Cove Visitor Center. Browse park related publications, check the schedule of free activities, events and enjoy exhibits and presentations.
Programs and Activities available at the Hulls Visitor Center include:
- A free 15-minute audiovisual program
- Educational material or memorabilia
- Junior Ranger program
Hiking and Biking
- Carriage Roads are protected from vehicle traffic and are great for biking and hiking with kids.
- Cadillac Summit has marked paths that are appropriate for all levels of hiking.
- The Ocean Path is also a level family friendly trail offering scenic ocean views.
- The Bar Harbor Shore Path is a family friendly hike as well as the Great Meadow Loop at Sieur De Mont Springs.
- Take a dip in Echo Lake, a somewhat warm fresh water lake.
- Splash in the waves or build sand castles at Sand Beach.
- In the town of Bar Harbor, Glen Mary wadding pool is free for public use.
Fishing and Boating
Fishing on shore or by boat is a great family friendly activity. Mount Desert Island has numerous fresh water lakes and public marinas for ocean access where visitors can go sailing, boating, kayaking or canoeing.
- Museum of Natural History
The George B. Dorr Museum of Natural History can be found on the College of the Atlantic campus. Year round, you can participate in various family activities to include story hours and a film series.
- Mount Desert Oceanarium
The Mount Desert Oceanarium runs one of the few remaining lobster hatcheries in the world. Visitors can also walk an approximately 1/4 mile Marsh Walk where they will learn about the local saltwater marsh and the wildlife that calls it home. Visitors of all ages will enjoy the Touch Tank. Here you can see and handle sea creatures such as sea cucumbers, urchins, and horseshoe crabs.