Named after an engineer fro the Colonial Armey during the American Revolution – Jeduthan Baldwin – Fort Baldwin initially had three separate unit stations of guns. However, all of these batteries were removed in July 1924.
Built in 1905-1912, Ford Baldwin was designed to defend the Eastern Coast from enemy ships in the Atlantic Ocean. The Fort was not designed for any type of defense from ground forces. As a result, there were no garrison quarters near the batteries, as the occupants of the Fort actually lived down the hill near Atkins Bay.
Visitors to Fort Baldwin will notice the difference between this fortification and that of others in the same area. Fort Baldwin was constructed primarily of concrete and does not demonstrate any type of refined masonry. However, here you will be able to see traces of tiled fireplaces representative of the living quarters of the Fort.
Reactivated in World War II, Fort Baldwin was used as an observatory to keep watch for potential German sea boats. A concrete watchtower was constructed and manned with observers.