- Traveling I- 95 from Portsmouth, New Hampshire to Bangor Maine, to Exit 182A onto I-395 will take about four hours and is approximately 200 miles.
- Proceed on I-395 for 5 miles, to Exit 6A, bearing right onto US-1A.
- From Bangor to Ellsworth via US 1A is about 22.8 miles and will take about one hour.
- Continuing of US-1A (High Street) through Ellsworth US-1A becomes US-1, and ME-3 East after 1 mile.
- Travel on ME-3 East for 9 miles to the head of Mount Desert Island.
- Bear right at the head of the island, after the bridge, onto ME-102, and ME-198 for 4.6 miles, you are then in Somesville, Maine.
- Coastal Route 1 is a scenic route from the border of Maine to Somesville, Maine of approximately five hours, and 275 miles.
Centrally located on Mount Desert Island, Somesville is 15 minutes from Bar Harbor and 15 Minutes from Southwest Harbor. Its location allows easy access to Acadia National Park and the many offerings of island life.
Somesville has a convenience store, bank, and a U.S. Post office. The village is also home to the Acadia Repertory Theater, which performs throughout the summer season.
All areas of Mount Desert Island, whether hiking, biking, or driving are easily reached from the village of Somesville. From Somesville, access hiking trails on both sides of Mount Desert Island. The fresh waters of the area's lakes and ponds are accessible for kayaking and canoe ventures.
Also accessible is Some Sound for those who prefer the challenge and beauty the salt waters offer. Visitors can easily gain access to fishing and boat cruises, play a round or two of golf, some tennis, bike a bit, and then do some shopping in the nearby villages of Bar Harbor and Southwest Harbor.
If the outdoors adventures are not appealing to you then the island offers museums, art and craft galleries, concerts, and theaters. Enjoy this middle of the island and middle of the road lifestyle from Somesville; the heart of the island.
If traveling from the south, follow I-95 to Bangor. Follow I-395 to 1A until Ellsworth, where state routes 1 and 3 will eventually lead to Bar Harbor.
Visitors who are taking scenic Coastal Maine’s Route 1 will travel through many communities offering small novelty shops, factory outlets, and dining. Eventually arriving on Main Street in Ellsworth, which is lined with many more shops, and restaurants offering visitors the chance to find special gifts, and souvenirs. From there visitors can take High Street, which ME-3 and US- 1A merge together, to the head Mount Desert Island, and to ME-102, and ME-198 on into Somesville.